Friday 25 December 2020

PLANKING COMPLETED!

DAY 5,6,7,8,9,10 ๐Ÿ˜‚

It's no secret that I hate planking and that I'm useless at it. I have to admit though, that I feel a little bit wiser now and will probably do a better job of it on my next boat-build. I guess that's what it's all about at the end of the day - learning from your mistakes.

I have not recorded my planking efforts because I have absolutely nothing to offer in terms of knowledge or tips, so best to just say I got there in the end. It took me ages to get the planking done because I would just do one or two planks per day and then go do other things while the wood glue hardened. Of course, I should have followed to limitless planking guides on the forums, YouTube and in books. But I didn't ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Anyway, here we are with a finished hull, ready to sand, fill, sand, fill, undercoat, sand, fill, sand, paint, etc, etc, etc. The images below show the hull with a few coats of undercoat and the first coat of acrylic Hull Red. 


 
Don't ask me why, but I used my IWATA brush to put that paint on and it was woefully inadequate because it had too fine a needle fitted to it. It was like painting the Titanic with a fine-point brush!  Thankfully, I have an Aztec Airbrush with nozzles wide enough for a project this size, so the next coats will be put on properly.

The Hull Red is just like an undercoat and is not the final colour, which will, of course be more reddish (although I haven't looked for the right shade in the Tamiya range yet). James H on the MSW Forums suggested a Plastikote RED OXIDE Aerosol which sounds like a good option!


No comments:

Post a Comment